Follow Us:

Advertisement

US Proposes ‘Bridge’ Plan to Extend Gaza Ceasefire and Seek Lasting Peace

The plan calls for Hamas to continue the release of hostages in exchange for prisoners following a previously established formula.

TIS Desk | Washington DC |

Advertisement

The United States has introduced a “bridge” proposal aimed at extending the Israel-Hamas ceasefire beyond the religious observances of Ramadan and Passover, providing additional time to negotiate a long-term resolution to the conflict, the White House announced.

US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and National Security Council Senior Director for the Middle East and North Africa Eric Trager presented the proposal in Qatar on Wednesday, according to an official statement from their offices.

“On Wednesday evening in Doha, US Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff and National Security Council Senior Director for the Middle East and North Africa Eric Trager presented a ‘bridge’ proposal to extend the ceasefire beyond Ramadan and Passover, and allow time to negotiate a framework for a permanent ceasefire,” the statement read.

The plan calls for Hamas to continue the release of hostages in exchange for prisoners following a previously established formula. It also includes an extension of the phase-one ceasefire to facilitate the delivery of critical humanitarian aid to Gaza.

“Under the ‘bridge’ proposal, Hamas would release living hostages in exchange for prisoners in accordance with previous formulas; the phase-one ceasefire would be extended to enable the resumption of significant humanitarian assistance; and the US would work towards a durable solution to this intractable conflict during the extended ceasefire period,” the statement added.

Witkoff underscored the importance of swift implementation, noting that mediators, including Qatar and Egypt, had conveyed to Hamas the urgency of the proposal.

“Through our Qatari and Egyptian partners, Hamas was told in no uncertain terms that this ‘bridge’ would have to be implemented soon — and that dual US-Israeli citizen Edan Alexander would have to be released immediately,” he said.

He criticized Hamas for publicly presenting itself as flexible in negotiations while making unrealistic demands behind closed doors.

“Unfortunately, Hamas has chosen to respond by publicly claiming flexibility while privately making demands that are entirely impractical without a permanent ceasefire. Hamas is making a very bad bet that time is on its side. It is not. Hamas is well aware of the deadline and should know that we will respond accordingly if that deadline passes,” Witkoff warned.

Advertisement

Advertisement