Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MK Stalin on Wednesday assured a fair and unbiased investigation into the brutal murder of retired Sub-Inspector of Police Zakhir Hussain in Tirunelveli district. Hussain was hacked to death on March 18 while returning home after early morning Ramzan prayers, despite previously raising concerns about threats to his life.
Addressing the Tamil Nadu Assembly, Stalin confirmed that special police teams had been formed to arrest those involved in the killing.
“His wife has lodged a complaint at the police station. So far, two people have surrendered in connection with the murder. A land dispute existed between the parties, and both had filed complaints. However, this unfortunate incident has occurred,” he said.
He reassured that justice would be served, stating, “Without any bias, a fair investigation will be conducted, and the culprits will be punished. This government will not allow anyone to take the law into their hands.”
Opposition leader and AIADMK General Secretary Edappadi K. Palaniswami condemned the murder and accused the police of gross negligence, saying that Hussain had raised repeated concerns about his safety but was ignored.
“Three months ago, he had filed complaints with the Tirunelveli City Police Commissioner, Town Assistant Commissioner, and the Inspector of Police, stating that his life was in danger. Instead of acting on his concerns, the police allegedly forced mediation (katta panchayat) between him and the accused,” Palaniswami stated.
He also pointed to a viral video in which Hussain had explicitly warned that a gang was plotting to kill him. Despite this, law enforcement failed to act, leading to his tragic death.
Palaniswami also alleged that senior police officers in Tirunelveli had colluded with the accused, leaking Hussain’s complaints to them.
“This incident exposes severe shortcomings in police functioning. I demand strict legal action against those responsible for both the murder and the failure to protect him,” he asserted.
In an unrelated development, CM Stalin also extended a warm welcome to astronaut Sunita Williams after her successful return from space aboard NASA’s SpaceX Dragon spacecraft on March 18.
“Her safe return makes us all happy. I appreciate Sunita Williams and thank those who brought her back to Earth safely,” he said.
Williams, along with three other Crew-9 astronauts, spent over nine months in space before splashing down off the coast of Florida.