theindianstatesman.com

PM Modi Monitors Mahakumbh Situation, Speaks to UP CM for the Third Time Following Stampede-like Incident

[Photo : ANI]

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is closely monitoring the situation at the ongoing Mahakumbh in Prayagraj, especially after a stampede-like situation occurred earlier this morning. The Prime Minister has remained in constant communication with the Uttar Pradesh government, speaking with Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath three times since the incident and offering guidance to restore order and provide relief.

Union Home Minister Amit Shah has also reached out to CM Yogi Adityanath to offer his support and assure full assistance from the Centre following the chaos during the Mauni Amavasya celebrations at the Sangam.

Earlier in the day, the Akharas had decided to call off their Holy Dip due to the overwhelming crowds, but Ravindra Puri, President of the Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad, later confirmed that the Akharas would resume the ‘snan’ after the crowd size diminished and the designated ghats were cleared.

In an interview with ANI, Puri said, “Our snan was postponed earlier due to the massive crowd at the ghats. However, now that the crowd has reduced and the ghats are being cleared, it seems that all Akharas will be able to perform the snan today. Our Mahamandaleshwars, Mandaleshwars, Naga Sadhus, and devotees will take the holy dip today.”

Puri further explained that the Akharas would proceed with their traditional processions, though on a smaller scale. He also mentioned that there is no rush, and the Akharas could perform the snan even at night if needed, as it is Mauni Amavasya.

“The processions will be held according to tradition, but on a smaller scale. We are in regular contact with the Mela administration. We have plenty of time and are in no hurry. We can do snan at night if required,” Puri added.

Addressing the stampede-like incident, Puri clarified that misinformation had fueled panic among the crowd. “Misinformation was spread this morning, which created fear among the people. When we spoke to everyone, we realized the situation was different, and many rumors were circulating. I urge people not to rush towards the Sangam. They can take a dip wherever they find the Ganga,” he said.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has urged devotees to take the holy dip at the nearest ghat rather than converging at a single location. “Devotees, please take a bath at the ghat near you. Do not try to go towards Sangam. Please follow the instructions of the administration and cooperate with the arrangements. People are bathing peacefully at all ghats of Sangam. Do not listen to any rumors,” the CM posted on X.

The stampede-like situation occurred as millions of devotees gathered at the Sangam Ghats for the ‘Amrit Snan’ on the occasion of Mauni Amavasya, expected to attract 80-100 million people. Other major bathing dates during the Maha Kumbh include February 3 (Basant Panchami – Third Shahi Snan), February 12 (Maghi Purnima), and February 26 (Maha Shivaratri).

Exit mobile version