Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath reassured the public on Wednesday that the situation at the ongoing Mahakumbh in Prayagraj is under control, following a stampede-like incident earlier in the day. He urged devotees to take a holy dip at the ghats closest to them, advising against trying to reach the overcrowded Sangam Ghat due to the large number of pilgrims present.
Speaking about the incident, CM Yogi explained that approximately 8 to 10 crore devotees had gathered in Prayagraj on Wednesday, with a significant strain on the movement towards the Sangam Nose. The heavy crowding led to a few devotees suffering injuries when they attempted to cross barricades along Akhara Marg. The injured were promptly transferred to hospitals for treatment.
“Since the Mauni Amavasya muhurat began last night, a large influx of devotees has arrived,” Yogi Adityanath said. “The situation remains tense due to the massive crowd, but it is under control.”
The Chief Minister also highlighted the active involvement of top officials in managing the situation, noting that Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Home Minister Amit Shah, and Governor Anandiben Patel have all been regularly receiving updates on the situation. “The Prime Minister has taken stock of the situation four times, and both the Home Minister and the Governor are constantly monitoring the situation,” he added.
Yogi further assured that the situation at Prayagraj’s ghats is being managed, though the crowds continue to be large. He emphasized that Akhara leaders have urged devotees to first take a dip at the less crowded ghats. Once the crowd density decreases, the Akharas will proceed with their own holy dip.
“The crowds are significant at Sangam Nose, Nag Vasuki Marg, and Sangam Marg. I request devotees not to pay attention to rumors. There are multiple ghats available throughout the Kumbh area, and it is not necessary to head only towards Sangam Nose. Please take your dip at the nearest ghat,” CM Yogi said, ensuring that adequate medical care was being provided to those injured.
In addition to the ground-level measures, the Indian Railways has arranged special trains to help devotees travel to and from the Kumbh Mela area more efficiently. “Special trains are running from various stations in the Prayagraj region to assist devotees in returning to their destinations,” Yogi Adityanath confirmed.
As of 10 am on Wednesday, around 36.1 million devotees had already bathed at the Triveni Ghat, according to the Uttar Pradesh government, as the ‘Amrit Snan’ on the occasion of Mauni Amavasya continues to draw millions of pilgrims to the holy city.