In a significant development, security forces in Chhattisgarh’s Gariaband district, near the Odisha-Chhattisgarh border, neutralized 16 Naxals during a joint operation. Initially, 14 bodies were recovered, and later two more Naxal bodies were found, bringing the total to 16, according to Inspector General of Raipur Zone Amresh Mishra.
IG Mishra confirmed that the forces also seized a large quantity of weapons and ammunition, including AK-47s, SLRs, INSAS rifles, and other automatic firearms. The search operation is still ongoing.
The operation, launched on Sunday, was a combined effort by the Gariaband Operation Group E30, Cobra 207, CRPF 65 and 211 Battalions, and SOG Nuapada. Gariaband Superintendent of Police Nikhil Rakhecha had earlier confirmed the deaths of over 14 Naxals. Among those killed was Jairam alias Chalpati, a member of the Naxalite Central Committee, who had a bounty of one crore rupees on his head.
Following the successful operation, Union Home Minister Amit Shah hailed the achievement, calling it a “mighty blow” to Naxalism. He said, “Another mighty blow to Naxalism. Our security forces achieved major success toward building a Naxal-free Bharat. The CRPF, SoG Odisha, and Chhattisgarh Police neutralized 14 Naxals in a joint operation along the Odisha-Chhattisgarh border. With our resolve for a Naxal-free India, Naxalism is breathing its last today.”
Chhattisgarh Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sharma also praised the operation’s success, emphasizing the importance of eliminating Jairam, marking the first-ever killing of a Central Committee member in the history of Naxal operations. “14 Naxals were killed in two days, and the elimination of Odisha cadre CC member Jairam in Chhattisgarh is a historic achievement. Jairam had a bounty of more than one crore rupees on his head. This is a big success for the police, and many automatic weapons were seized,” Sharma stated. He further added, “By March 2026, Naxalism will be eradicated not just from Chhattisgarh but from the entire country.”
NCP-SCP MP Supriya Sule also voiced her support for the government’s actions, calling the operation an essential part of national security. “We strongly back the government’s efforts to eliminate Naxals as this is a national security issue. When it comes to matters of national security and terrorism, we stand united behind the government,” Sule said.
This successful operation marks a crucial step in the ongoing efforts to dismantle Naxalism in India, with significant support from both state and national leaders.