Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Akhilesh Yadav has expressed deep sorrow over the casualties of devotees in a stampede-like incident at the ongoing Maha Kumbh in Prayagraj, attributing the tragic event to “mismanagement.” He urged the authorities to take swift action and provide immediate assistance to the injured.
“The news of casualties in an accident caused by mismanagement at the Maha Kumbh is extremely sad,” Yadav posted on X. “We urge the government to ensure the seriously injured are airlifted to the nearest best hospitals for treatment and provide urgent medical care. Arrangements should also be made to identify and return the bodies of the deceased to their families and send them to their homes. Efforts should be made to reunite those who have been separated, and surveillance should be increased with the help of helicopters,” he added.
Yadav further called for the Shahi Snan on Mauni Amavasya to proceed alongside relief efforts, maintaining the tradition while ensuring the safety of devotees. “The unbroken tradition of Shahi Snan should be carried out amidst safe management and in parallel with the relief work,” he said.
He also appealed to the devotees to remain calm and patient during this challenging time and complete their pilgrimage peacefully. “The government must learn from this incident and improve the arrangements for accommodation, food, water, and other facilities for the devotees,” Yadav added, wishing a speedy recovery for all those injured in the stampede.
In a statement on X, the Samajwadi Party expressed its sorrow over the stampede, calling it “heartbreaking.” The party urged the Uttar Pradesh government to expedite the ongoing relief and rescue operations. “Very sad! The news of devotees being injured in a stampede at Prayagraj Maha Kumbh is heart-breaking. May the souls of the deceased rest in peace. Wishing the injured a speedy recovery. Deep condolences to the bereaved families. The government should speed up relief and rescue operations,” SP said.
Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge also criticized the administration’s failure to make adequate preparations for the event, pointing to VIP movement and self-promotion as distractions from the necessary arrangements. “The stampede at the banks of Teerthraj Sangam, where several lives were lost and many others were injured, is heart-rending. My deepest condolences to the families of the deceased and wishes for the quick recovery of the injured. The lack of proper arrangements, mismanagement, and excessive focus on VIP movement, rather than the well-being of devotees, is to blame. Despite spending thousands of crores, the arrangements were insufficient and must be condemned. The central and state governments must improve facilities to prevent further incidents. Accommodation, food, first aid, and movement of devotees must be prioritized, and VIP movement should be minimized,” he said.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been in touch with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath to monitor the situation at the Mahakumbh Mela. The Prime Minister has called for immediate support measures to manage the crisis.
Earlier on Wednesday, a “stampede-like” situation occurred when barriers were breached, leading to several injuries, according to Special Executive Officer Akanksha Rana. However, she assured that the situation was under control and the injured were receiving medical attention.
Mauni Amavasya, which marks the second Shahi Snan, was expected to draw a crowd of 80 to 100 million people. Other key bathing dates during the Maha Kumbh include February 3 (Basant Panchami – Third Shahi Snan), February 12 (Maghi Purnima), and February 26 (Maha Shivaratri).