Follow Us:

Advertisement

Akhilesh Yadav Blames BJP for Mahakumbh Stampede, Demands Increased Assistance for Victims

“If the administration had been more efficient, perhaps this tragedy could have been avoided,” Yadav added.

TIS Desk | New Delhi |

Advertisement

Samajwadi Party (SP) Chief Akhilesh Yadav on Thursday held the BJP-led governments at both the Central and Uttar Pradesh levels responsible for the tragic stampede at the Mahakumbh, which resulted in the deaths of at least 30 people and left 60 others injured.

“BJP cannot back away from the responsibility. Both the Delhi and Uttar Pradesh governments are accountable for this incident,” Yadav said in an interview with ANI. He emphasized that better administration could have prevented the disaster, pointing out that the government’s negligence contributed to the tragedy.

“If the administration had been more efficient, perhaps this tragedy could have been avoided,” Yadav added. “There were discussions about the large number of devotees expected to attend, and even suggestions that officials be trained in crowd management, but the situation still escalated.”

Yadav also criticized the government’s response, calling the financial assistance of Rs 25 lakh to the families of the deceased inadequate. He urged for an increase in the amount and demanded the release of an official list of the victims and those still missing to clear the confusion surrounding the incident.

“Rs 25 lakh is a minimal amount. It should be increased. The government should also release an official list of those who lost their lives and those who are missing to bring clarity to the situation,” Yadav said.

The SP leader raised concerns over the government’s awareness of the situation, noting that he received information about the incident at 2:48 AM, and questioned how the authorities could not have been informed earlier. He also criticized the distribution of cards and invitations by the government, suggesting that this may have contributed to the chaos.

“If I knew about it at that time, the government must have known as well,” Yadav said. “It is unfortunate because the government itself was distributing cards and sending invitations. In past years, devotees came on their own, but this year, people who were not invited but came with faith became the victims.”

Although Yadav expressed his condolences, he chose not to visit the victims’ families, citing concerns that the BJP would accuse him of politicizing the tragedy. “I will not visit the families because the BJP will accuse me of politicizing the matter. We do not want to make politics out of any issue,” he said.

The stampede occurred during the early hours of January 29, as millions of devotees gathered at the confluence of the Ganga and Yamuna rivers for Mauni Amavasya, marking the Second Shahi Snan. At least 30 people were killed, and 60 others injured in the tragic incident, according to Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Vaibhav Krishna. The Uttar Pradesh government has announced financial compensation of Rs 25 lakh for the victims’ families and has initiated a judicial inquiry into the incident.

Advertisement

Advertisement