Schools across Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR) were forced to close on Friday after receiving bomb threats, with many switching to online classes for the day.
A guardian of one student confirmed they were informed of the closure and online classes, speculating that the decision was linked to the bomb threat. “The school administration said the school is closed today, and classes will be held online… They didn’t mention the reason, but I think it’s because of the bomb threat,” the guardian said.
Earlier in the day, several schools in Delhi and Noida received bomb threats, prompting immediate police action. Ahlcon International School in Mayur Vihar, Delhi, reported receiving an email with the threat. The school alerted the Pandav Nagar police station at 6:40 AM, and the information was relayed to the control room. The East District Bomb Disposal Squad (BDS) was dispatched to the site. Following a thorough search, no suspicious items were found.
In response to the threat, the principal of Ahlcon International School informed parents via email that the school would remain closed on Friday for safety reasons. The school also announced that classes would be conducted online.
Shiv Nadar School in Noida also received a bomb threat. The Noida police, along with the bomb squad, fire brigade, dog squad, and BDDS team, immediately initiated a search of the premises. “Senior police officers are present on the spot. The cyber team is investigating the email. We urge the public not to believe rumors and to remain patient,” said the Noida police.
St. Stephen’s College in North Delhi was another institution that received a bomb threat. The Deputy Commissioner of Police for North District confirmed that the college had received an email at 7:42 AM, and a Bomb Detection and Disposal Team (BDT) was deployed to investigate.
In a related incident, Delhi Police previously arrested a juvenile in connection with a series of hoax bomb threats sent to over 400 schools across the capital. The accused, a public school student, was apprehended after a detailed investigation by the Cyber Cell of South District police. Police seized a laptop and two mobile phones from the suspect, which were subjected to forensic analysis. The evidence revealed that the student was responsible for sending threatening emails to numerous schools in Delhi.
The accused had used anonymous and encrypted email services to hide their identity but was caught through advanced technical methods. Further investigation showed the student had been involved in sending threatening emails to more than 400 schools, including 23 schools that received bomb threats on January 8, 2025. This caused widespread panic, school closures, and disrupted academic activities across the city.