Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Saturday announced that any damage caused during the March 17 Nagpur violence will be recovered from the rioters, warning that their property could be seized or bulldozed if necessary.
Speaking at a press conference, CM Fadnavis emphasized strict action against those involved in the clashes.
“Whatever damage has happened will be recovered from the rioters. If they do not pay, their property will be sold for recovery. Bulldozers will be used wherever required,” he stated.
The Chief Minister also reviewed the incident with police officers, examining the sequence of events and actions taken.
“The violence began after a replica of Aurangzeb’s grave was burned in the morning. An FIR was filed, but a rumour spread that a Quranic verse was written on it, leading to stone pelting and arson,” he explained.
Authorities have arrested 104 individuals based on CCTV footage, and more arrests are expected. CM Fadnavis also warned of legal action against those spreading misinformation online.
- 104 arrested so far; police continuing their crackdown.
- 68 inflammatory social media posts identified and deleted.
- Rumour-mongers on social media to be made co-accused in the case.
“Police action will be taken against those involved in the riots or supporting them. Social media users spreading rumours will also be booked,” he asserted.
Earlier in the day, CM Fadnavis held a review meeting at the Nagpur Police Headquarters regarding the violence.
- Hamid Engineer, working president of the Minorities Democratic Party, was arrested late Friday night.
- Fahim Khan, the prime accused, claimed police ill-treatment and was directed for a medical examination by the Nagpur Court.
Nagpur Police Commissioner Ravinder Singal confirmed that 99 individuals have been arrested, assuring an impartial investigation.
“We are conducting an unbiased probe, and action is being taken against those responsible,” Singal said.
The Congress party has formed a committee to visit Nagpur and assess the situation, criticizing the BJP-led government for failing to prevent the violence.
Senior Congress leader Manikrao Thakare blamed the government for negligence, stating:
“Such incidents have never happened in Nagpur before. This happened because the state and central governments did not pay attention. The police did not act in time.”
Meanwhile, Maharashtra’s Minister of State for Home, Yogesh Kadam, condemned the attacks on police officers, calling it a serious matter.
“People raising hands on DCP-level officers and police personnel will not be tolerated. Strictest action will be taken,” Kadam said.
The situation in Nagpur has now returned to normal, with curfew lifted in several areas. Authorities continue investigations and arrests while political parties debate the government’s handling of the violence.